Green Mountain Presbyterian Church
A brief history
Green Mountain Presbyterian Church began in 1883 as a Bible School meeting in a tent near 11th and Larimer Streets in Denver. The First United Presbyterian Church of Denver was formally established June 3, 1883. In 1895 it relocated to the corner of 14th and Lincoln—across from the State Capitol grounds. The church remained at this location until 1965 when it relocated to its present location on Green Mountain, Lakewood.
Over the years, as the downtown church grew, in 1953 it added an education building and a center in North Denver, providing an active Christian program for multiracial children and families in the Stapleton Housing area. The church also sponsored the organization of Calvary United Presbyterian in Southeast Denver. The church reached a peak of 1000 members in 1957.
As plans for the new Green Mountain church were being made in 1962, services were held at Green Mountain Elementary School for those new church members living in the west while continuing services for the downtown members at Civic Center. Groundbreaking ceremonies took place July 19, 1964 for the new Green Mountain building. The two groups worshiped together for the first time on September 26, 1965 when the Cornerstone Laying Service was held at the new building site. Our current facility was dedicated May 8, 1966.
1883 A Sabbath school held in a tent at 11th and Curtis streets in downtown Denver is reorganized at First United Presbyterian Church.
1895 Parish Moved to a building between 13th and 14th Ave.
1908 Electric filament lamps installed for 25th anniversary
1942 Session voted to make a contribution to the Japanese church at 25th & California streets for repairs to damages caused by vandals
1953 Parish added a christian education building and center in North Denver for multiracial families in the Stapleton housing development area, as well as sponsoring the formation of Calvary United Presbyterian Church in southeast Denver.
1956 Parish partners with other churches to develop Kentucky Circle Village housing project
1962 ~ 1983
1962 First worship service in Green Mountain held at the elementary school
1964 Groundbreaking for current building: July 19th
1965 Cornerstone laying service at the present building: September 26th
1966 Dedication of current building May 8th
1977 First United Presbyterian Church in Green Mountain officially changed its name to Green Mountain United Presbyterian Church
1983 Parish revived a First United Presbyterian Church mission project by again supporting the Christian hospital in Taxila, Pakistan
2000 Memorial Garden Columbarium dedicated
2002 Second Wind Fund started
2011 Stained glass window from downtown church restored and hung over the stairway
2012 Elevator installed and dedicated
2013 Stephen Ministry renewed
2014 Solar panels installed to provide electricity
2016 Restrooms and offices renovated to provide handicapped accessibility
2018 Parking lot and grounds renovated to provide safer accessibility